Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

The Vote and the Damage Done.

As I have been surfing the web for various blogs, I find myself going to Andrew Sullivan’s blog quite frequently. As you may or may not know Mr. Sullivan calls himself a ‘conservative, gay Republican.’ I have to ask myself is there such a thing? But I guess there is, so go figure.

Anyway, back to the story at hand. I was reading Mr. Sullivan’s blog and I came across this letter sent to him by a fellow Republican:

A CHASTENED REPUBLICAN:

Yes, this was an emotional election. Here's one reader response:
As the election approached, I became deeply critical of you due to your decision to vote for Kerry. My vote for Bush wasn't motivated by homophobia or any other "values issue." (Is homophobia a family value?) Like many people in Connecticut, I supported Bush because I thought, after 9/11, that he would be preferable to Kerry as a wartime leader. I understand why people think I'm wrong about that. It's no accident, however, that Bush lost to Kerry in New Jersey and Connecticut by a lot less than he lost to Gore in those same states in 2000. It sure wasn't because Rove turned out the homophobic vote up here.But seeing things a little more clearly and calmly now, I have to say that I am embarrassed by what happened to gays this year. They were crassly exploited by the political party I supported, and the other party didn't do enough to protect them. Not enough people stood up to say "this is wrong." I sure as hell didn't. I just wanted my guy to win. I'm sorry that happened.I realize that this apology is probably worth a bucket of warm spit to you. But you should know that I've talked to several other people who voted for Bush, but now have the same sense of buyer's guilt I do. I think that means that next time they start trying to take people's rights away, maybe more of us will stand up and say "this is wrong." I solemnly promise that I will.


This is all well and good, but sorry pal; too little too late. I can understand your post 9/11 fears, but you and a lot of Republicans who are 'sorry' knew what Bush and his administration were all about. Any president who says that gay marriage is a threat to the social fabric of this country is dangerous. I have a good friend of mine who is a Republican also said that he too was sorry, but he still thinks that he made the right decision. He believes that Bush’s re-election will make the nation’s economy rebound and will unite our country. The tragic flaws about this assertion is that: a) no matter how well our economy is doing, you cannot sacrifice human rights for a better Dow-Jones average. But I guess in this country money solves everything. b) After Bush’s re-election this country is even more divided now than it was before he was elected. Now how’s that for ‘nation healing’?

Here’s a little math for all you conservatives out there who don’t want ‘big government’ in your lives. If this amendment is passed then: gays don’t have the right to marry + gays don’t have the right to have jobs + gays don’t have a right to housing+ gays don’t have equal protection under the law=gays aren’t human beings. Now, I’m sure you conservatives out there think that this can’t happen and amending the Constitution won’t come to such a dire outcome. Just remember that this country that we know and love was founded on the same concept over 300 years ago: it was called slavery. So “sorry” just doesn’t cut it anymore. The 2004 election was viewed as if it was a football game, but believe me folks, a lot more was at stake than bragging rights. And if the Republican Party and its constituents won, what did they exactly ‘win’? The Iraqi war, a spiraling deficit, several step backwards on human rights issues, and a nation divided. To the victor goes the spoils indeed.

As for my fellow Democrats (you know who you are). Shame on you for not taking a stand for something that was once the cornerstone of your party: Speaking up for those who don’t have the power or the voice to protect themselves. I’m not only speaking of gay people when I say this… Republicans got a lot of votes from the working poor and other groups who were once loyal to Democrats, and are now frustrated with your party. If Democrats are to be considered a viable party in the next election (and win in 2008) they must not be ashamed for speaking up for any citizen in this country whose rights are being trampled on.

Nuff Said.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar