Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Samples: Free, Bought and Borrowed

Simple Man by Lynard Skynard
Following on from my previous post you'll already know the importance of trying out a sample. In this post, I'll be testing/reviewing each scent from each category (Free, Bought and Borrowed) and then finally I'll choose a fragrance that "wins" in the ultimate scent off. For these comparisons, I'll be mainly focussing on Projection and Longevity - two things I personally value in perfume when considering value for money and scent experience. Granted if I were to choose on note preference we could be here all day so I think these variables are important and pretty easy (for me) to decipher what wins.

Of course, testing out a scent sample does not have to be serious. You don't have to schedule it in your calendar but, depending on how the fragrance works you may want to use it at home first. Whilst testing a fragrance keep in mind the type of things you value in a scent - When you'll wear it? Is it worth the price? etc. These are all valuable questions. Yet, an important final question and your greatest tool to stop you from needless purchases it to ask yourself the ultimate question: Would I give away my current favourite fragrance for this?

If the answer is yes then you may indeed have a new scent on the table. If not, at least you have not wasted a large amount of money buying a fragrance you didn't really like so much. Alright, let's get to it ... Just remember when testing the fragrance on your skin allow it to dry down without rubbing it in.
From the selection of borrowed samples I was allowed to choose from (ended up choosing just one Chanel No.5 L'eau, to 2 free samples and 3 samples I purchased myself).
Free Samples
The benefit of free samples other than the mere fact you did not have to pay for them is that since you haven't invested in them, your thoughts are unfettered by preconceived notions of value. Certainly, brand names and bottle designs can tempt you to prefer one smell over another but, stripped bare and in sample form, everything is on a leveling playing field. Often free samples at perfume stores are modern promotional scents that can give you a feel of the current tempting vibe in perfumery. Thus, if you are able to see past pretty bottles, brand names etc. you'll be able to see or should I smell what really matters - the scent.
Coach Floral Advertisements: 123. Floral Woody Musk.
Coach Floral It has an opening fresh mint/green (that I think would be the pineapple) note that is unusual but refreshingly attractive. This is a sweet and pretty girly scent I imagine many women will like it regardless of age though, I think it leans on the more youthful side of the fence. It's a scent that will be noticed and lasts a good while on the skin. 
Chanel Eau Fraiche Advertisments: 1234. Chypre Floral.
Chanel Chance Eau Fraiche - A super pretty youthful citrus fragrance that has an almost clinical cleanliness with a bit of an earthy kick as its end. It's a nice scent that has a bit more weight to it than your average run of the mill aquatic. It's a safe scent that many may enjoy and find non-offensive. I'd imagine this would be great for those who may not be "into" fragrances but still like to have some type of scent/perfume. 

Best of the free scent samples: Argh, they are both good! I'm tempted to be a snob and say, Chanel, since I've dubbed green chypres as my thing and of course ... its Chanel. Yet Coach definitely has character and presence, it's sweet, floral, loud and musky which again are all things I like. If these perfumes were people - Coach would be the extrovert: the type of friend who you could travel the world with after a random conversation.  Whereas, Chanel would be the astute introvert: the friend who would never be late, the one you could rely on to give you blunt but, fair advice as she reminds you yet again why texting your ex-boss you hate them is still not a good idea. Alas, they both are beautiful, they both have style - one minute I'm all for Floral the next its all Chance Eau Fraiche. Hmm, whilst I do see myself as a reserved Eau Fraiche kind of woman Floral has presence and longevity. Alas, today the extrovert wins. 

Bought Samples
Buying fragrance samples is the perfect solution for those who like to enjoy new scents but, don't feel like committing to full-size bottles or don't want to procure their favourite niche fragrance because of price or budget. Thankfully, there are various websites online which offer even the most exclusive scents at reasonable enough prices. Thus, there's no need to run off and buy a perfume based on a review you just read or because it has the same notes as your favourite perfume. Instead, you can buy a small sample and test to see if its truly as nice as they say because in the end what you decide, is all the matters.
Serge Luten Datura Noir Advertisement along with his work as a Makeup Artist: 1234. Oriental Vanilla.
Datura Noir by Serge Luten - A sweet spicy fragrance which brings musky warmth to the skin. This is quite a loud scent at first but, after a while, it dims slightly into an intoxicating skin-to-skin powdery almost soapy sweet muskiness. The first time I sprayed this I was completely enamored but, decided to at least try out a sample before buying a whole bottle (hence this reason behind this post & sample purchases). Whilst it does soften after a while the sharp sweetness of rich white florals dusted with baby powder and coconut, drift on a gentle tropical breeze which, captivates throughout its wear until it fades (rather quickly) into complete nothingness just like a dimmed wave. Needless to say, I'm pretty smitten with this scent, it's loud, a tad obnoxious and showy but that bravado doesn't last (unfortunately). If only Datura Noir could back up its projecting growl with sillage then, it would indeed get my complete adoration. 

Xerjoff Casamorati Lira Advertisement: 1, 2. Oriental Floral.
Xerjoff Casamorati Lira - A very warm citrus cocoa creamy scent. Think of a delicious cake covered with luscious buttery cream, delicately dusted with a chocolate powder that has just been freshly made for you. Sumptuous and inviting this scent is what happens when everything in a gourmand is done right. This is truly an opulent scent that is both refined but also inviting. The sillage/longevity is amazing and after a couple hours, the smooth delicious creamy notes unveil a delicate and spicy jasmine that will reignite your fever for Lira. 

Xerjoff Casmorati Fiore D'Ulivio Advertiisments: 12. Citrus Aromatic.
Xerjoff Casamorati Fiore D'Ulivio - Sweet citrus musk. If you've ever been a fan of Dolce & Gabbana light blue then I imagine you may really like this as its a much louder more poignant scent of the citrus musk family. Though Fiore is sweet it does have a sour almost moldy lime note that makes it more robust and not your typical sweet scent. I find this to be rather pretty, subtle but noticeable in a demure way. This would be a great fragrance for hot weather climates and those who like to show off their great personalities rather than the projection and ferocity of their perfume. Despite its meekness, Fiore has great longevity and good projection. 

Best of Bought Samples:  Let me not beat around the bush, I'm sad to say it but Lira is the winna. I know - I love/d Datura Noir but, Lira's sweet unpushy nature is just a richer, more complex amalgamation of sweetness that will not club you over the head like Datura Noir will. Don't get me wrong I love the shocking sharp notes of Datura even if they jump out and shock me. Yet, Lira shocked me just as much with everlasting Jasmine that raised up on my skin when I had thought it had all but faded into a creamy smudge on the skin. Now, I don't mean to be rude by ignoring Fiore D'Ulivio because when it comes to longevity it surely beats Datura Noir and if I was to choose a scent I believe to be the most universally pleasing Fiore D'Ulivio might've silently stolen the crown from the two outspoke divas. Yet, sticking to the variable (Projection and Longevity) Lira certainly wins.

Borrowed Samples
Buying fragrance samples is the perfect solution for those who like to enjoy new scents but, don't feel like committing to full-size bottles or don't want to procure their favourite niche fragrance because of price or budget. Thankfully, there are various websites online which offer even the most exclusive scents at reasonable enough prices. Thus, there's no need to run off and buy a perfume based on a review you just read or because it has the same notes as your favourite perfume. Instead, you can buy a small sample and test to see if its truly as nice as they say because in the end what you decide, is all the matters.

Chanel No5 L'eau Adertisments: 1234. Floral Aldehyde.
Chanel No.5 L'eau: The first opening notes for me felt rather masculine at first but, after a while, it dried down to the familiar scent of Chanel No.5 but, toned down. Upon testing it, I actually wasn't aware that this scent was part of the No.5 family as I just read "L'eau" on the bottle I thought "well this kinda smells like No.5". Well, it is, just lighter. Think Chanel No.5 on a "clean" diet - instead of dining on oysters and wearing pearls L'eau (the daughter of No.5) eats kale and does pilates  I actually think No.5 L'eau is a pretty nice adaptation of a scent that many younger folk have found intimidating and unreachable (Chanel No5). Unsurprisingly, L'eau was marketed for millennials and I think it has been made very well. It's creamy with all the buttery smoothness of No.5 but also quite light and airy - lovely but, I can't help thinking that a few light dabs of No.5 may create the same effect as L'eau is not very potent or extremely long-lasting. 

Who wins?
Xerjoff Lira in relation to longevity and projection yes, it is very pricey but if you're after a beautiful well-constructed gourmand that won't offend its a great option to test and try. Yet, each fragrance has its own positives and negatives and if I were to choose based on my heart I might end up with them all.

O.K. now for the big question - would I give up my favourite scent(s) for it? Nope. Believe me, I really like it and I am trying to make this little scent sample last but, when thinking of other scents in my collection I'd replace this for I'd only swap it with "Zara Vanilla Wood" which ironically is an Oriental Vanilla just like Datura Noir (my personal favourite fragrance of these samples)  but, Vanilla Wood is not my favourite scent.  

Phew, so there you have it - my coins were saved from what would have been an unscentsible purchase of Datura Noir and I'm not overly in love with Lira despite it impressing me. Yes, I really like that scent (Datura Noir) but, in terms of longevity, it's pretty insubstantial. Now I'm not saying I'll never consider buying it but as of now, I can definitely live without. 

I bought my scent samples from Scent Samples UK. Each sample cost £3.59 for 1ml which is pricer per ml of the actual bottle of perfume but, in relation to buying the actual perfume its a saving. 

Did you find this post helpful?
How do you test out scents?

Your comments are always welcomed and appreciated!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar