Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Making changes

I've been making changes. 

I got a lot done this May.  I've been busy crafting and I've also been busy on the home front too.  At the very top of my Hit List of things to get done this year, was the much maligned (by me) red wall in the dining room.  

Well, I finally got off my lazy rear end and did something about it.  I managed to win Mr G round to the idea of some delicious Cath Kidston wallpaper that I'd been coveting for a while, so it was time to get to work.  

I won't bore you with the details of the actual wallpapering event but radiators had to be removed (my least favourite thing) and it all got a bit hair raising in places.  I'm the one at the business end of decorating in this house and every single time I do any wallpapering I always swear it will be absolutely the last time.  I hate doing it, I always feel it's gone horribly wrong and while it's going on all I can see are my mistakes everywhere I look.

But then, a hour or two later, when it's all done and dry I walk back in the room and I love it.



What do you think of it?  I can't tell you how much of a relief it is now it's done.  It changes the whole room and everywhere feels lighter and brighter.

I also managed to change the curtains too.  The old curtains were just 'dummy' curtains that didn't actually draw.  Partly because I didn't have enough material at the time and partly because I think I wasn't really confident enough of my sewing skills at the time.


In a quite amazing stroke of luck I stumbled across a remnant of this same material at the end of last year so I snapped it up and set about converting my fake curtains into real curtains.

So now I have curtains with tabs, that I can actually close at night.  Much better.


The newly re-vamped curtains deserved some curtain ties.  Another little something I hadn't actually ever got round to making for the Fakes.



When I took the Fake Curtains apart, I salvaged a nice big lot of deep red material that I'd previously used as backing fabric.  I decided to re-purpose some of this to make the new curtain ties.  I already had the lace and ribbon but I couldn't resist this lovely pom-pom trim when I saw it in the shop.


I think it's a cute little touch.  Just the right thing to stop them looking to formal and old fashioned?



Carried away with this new 'can do' attitude that seems to have come over me in May, I even decided (on a complete whim) to give the kitchen a fresh coat of pain too.

It used to be a yummy avacado green colour which it tooks me ages to hunt down.  I think I had to get it mixed in the end.  Which I do still like, but it's starting to look a little grubby in places.  I'll go with something fairly similar I thought to myself.  Slightly paler maybe, a slightly more grayish green maybe, something like sage.


 So what did I come back from the shop with?  A very grey, slightly duck egg blue colour  called Mizzle.  Umm quite.  (Actually on my computer monitor it does look like a grey-ish green, but in the flesh, it's not at all.)

Ignoring all the advise ever written about choosing paint colours, I didn't get a tester pot, I didn't try it out.  I (very unwisely, given the price of F&B paint!) just brought a tin and started plastering it all over the walls.  It was a gamble.  It could have gone horribly wrong.


Luckily, it didn't and I love it.  I love it so, so much.  I probably never ever would have picked it if I had got a tester pot either, I would have been too scared to go so grey.  But  this time, the gamble paid off!

My home isn't the only place I've been ringing the changes.

If you're here, on the blog itself, you'll be able to see for yourself that I've been making a few cosmetic changes in my virtual home too.  The layout is all pretty much the same so you shouldn't have any problems finding your way around. I just felt the need to freshen things up a little.

The only thing I did add is a link on the right hand side there in the 'Follow Me' section which includes a link to my profile on My Sewing Circle, which is sort of 'Ravelry for sewing people' type of site.  So if happen to be on the site, or you sew yourself and want to try it out.  Come on over and we'll be 'friends'!

They say a change is a good as a rest, but I'm not so sure.  After all the changing I've been doing, I feel a rest is well deserved.

S x


Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar